Friday, July 1, 2016

Innovation Inspiration Finds


I'm starting to collect pictures of innovative ideas to share with my students for inspiration during Innovation Hour (also known as Genius Hour, 20% Time, or Independent Study).  My husband and I had walked to the beach in Evanston, Illinois, while waiting for our car to be repaired.  We saw this at an intersection without a pedestrian light.  A slight problem for us ~ the side of the road we were on did not have any red flags available to carry across the street.  They were all on the other side.



I think I would share this photograph with my students, and discuss several things: How does this method of crossing the street compare to pedestrian lights, crosswalk signs, pedestrian bridges, and intersections with no signs.  What types of intersections would be best for each method?  I would ask for potential problems with the method used in this photograph to see if they could image the problem I experienced.  I would then ask how the design could be changed to prevent my experience from happening to others.  Finally, I would ask for their original ideas to allow pedestrians to cross the street safely.  Students could consider these factors and implement them if they were designing a city as mentioned in yesterday's post.

Have you found some interesting signs in your travels?


No comments:

Post a Comment